Sunday, July 7, 2019

By the Dead Sea

This poem was inspired by a trip I recently took to Masada. The beauty of the landscape amazed me and made the architecture of the fortress far more impressive.

I stand upon Earth’s deepest height,
My spirit yearning to take wing,
To leap up toward the greater light.
The craggy cliffs in silence sing
To me of beauty brave and bare,
Of solid sculpted forms that stand,
That, crowned by solar beauty, bear
The fingerprints of Heaven’s hand,
And distantly I think I see
An echo of the closer song,
A blue-gray ridge, its melody
More faint from distance, yet as strong.
Its cliffs cascade down toward the sea
That scatters salt upon the shore
In crystals that plant poetry
In me. I stand. I adore.

2 comments:

  1. I loved Masada! Your poem is excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is lovely. Your feeling of amazement as a tangible thing...such a gift.

    ReplyDelete